Do you love donuts? We sure do. But most donuts are laden with artificial sugar, which doesn't make them a very nutritious choice to have on a regular basis. Rarely do we come across such a delicious concoction as these Chocolate Donuts, which are not only artificial sweetener- and gluten-free, but also offer the added benefits of protein and collagen.
Imagine you could eat a donut and reap the benefits of a protein-packed, super-healthy breakfast. Not only are these donuts full of chocolatey goodness, they're also topped with a delicious strawberry glaze that's surprisingly simple to make.
These amazingly yummy donuts were created by Karen Lao (@Karen.Lao on Instagram) and are made with Vital Performance™ Chocolate Protein. They made for a delicious start to your morning, or a delectable dessert to round out your day.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Donuts
- ¼ C coconut flour
- 2 scoops Vital Performance™ Chocolate Protein
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 C plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1½ C powdered sugar
- 1/2 C finely chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease donut pan with coconut oil or butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, protein and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together applesauce, yogurt, and egg.
- Combine both bowls and whisk together well to make the batter.
- Fill donut molds with batter (I put the batter in a Ziploc bag and cut a small hole to use as a piping bag).
- Tap the mold on the counter to even out the batter.
- Bake donuts in oven for 10 minutes.
- While the donuts are baking, crush 1/2 cup of strawberries in a bowl.
- Add 1½ cup of powdered sugar and whisk until you have a thick glaze. Set aside.
- Remove donut mold from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then place donuts on cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Dip the donuts into glaze and serve.
Lively Tip: Slice and chop up strawberries to decorate your donuts! We suggest using Greek yogurt on one of the donuts so that the chopped strawberries stay on top.