By: Aimee D’Elia
It’s time to break out that knit sweater, those new leather boots and to ask Siri where the closest apple orchard is. If you’re not into apple picking, we suggest heading to the nearest farmers market, which is guaranteed to be stocked up with fall staples like squash, pumpkin and apples. And with all those apples comes our favorite fall beverage: apple cider. There’s nothing better than the crispness of fresh pressed cider. And nothing screams fall more than a nice warm glass of spiced cider. Okay, maybe a pumpkin spiced latte … but apple cider definitely is very high up there!
RELATED: The Best Banana Bread Muffin Recipe
Apples are loaded with more antioxidant compounds and phytochemicals than we can name and plenty of fiber. Our Spiced Apple Cider Muffins contain both fresh apples and cider! Plus, we know that you know how to sip on cider, but have you ever baked with it? Well, wait no more, here’s your chance.
This perfect recipe requires only one bowl. Because let’s be honest who actually likes washing extra dishes? These Apple Cider Muffins are loaded with all the goods like grated apple, mashed banana, ground flax seed and Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Creamer.
And guess what? These treats go perfectly with your pumpkin spiced latte. Best day ever.
Spiced Apple Cider Muffins
Yields 12 Apple Cider Muffins
- 1 C apple cider
- 1 1/2 flax eggs (1 1/2 T flax meal + 4 T water)
- 1/4 C grapeseed oil
- 1/3 C mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 C apple sauce
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/2 C grated apple (packed)
- 2/3 C rolled oats
- 1/2 almond meal
- 3 scoops Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Creamer
- 1 C gluten-free flour blend
- Dried apple slices (optional, for topping)
- Simmer apple cider in a small saucepan on stovetop until it is reduced to 1/2 C, set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Prepare muffin tin with 12 liners or lightly grease pan, unlined.
- Make the flax eggs in large mixing bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add mashed banana, grapeseed oil and maple syrup to the flax egg mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Next add brown sugar, applesauce, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and whisk to combine.
- Add apple cider and stir. Then add grated apple and combine.
- Add Collagen Creamer to a 1/2 cup of hot water. Mix then add the mixture to oats, almond meal and gluten-free flour blend. Stir to combine.
- Divide evenly amongst the 12 tins, filling all the way to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and they’re golden brown.
- Let cool completely before glazing or unwrapping.
- To prepare glaze, combine Vanilla Collagen Creamer and powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Added very hot (or boiling) water to the sugar mixture. Stir in melted coconut butter.
- Drizzle over muffins and enjoy!