And just like that we are stepping into a new season! The kids are back in school, the leaves are falling and cardigan weather is right around the corner. This is my favorite time of year to slow down and reflect on the year ahead. I love coming home to a warm house that smells like cinnamon and apples. Although I do enjoy going candle shopping for these scents, there is nothing better than an Apple Pie baking in the oven.
Apple pie has always been one of my favorite seasonal desserts – especially if it’s homemade. Nothing beats a baked crust with a warm apple and cinnamon filling, and a crunchy crumble on top, paired with some delicious vanilla ice cream to balance it out. This Apple Pie was such a hit in my house, that it was gone within minutes. If you are someone who is looking for a gluten-free alternative or something that offers more health properties, this Apple Pie recipe is definitely one you will want to try this fall.
The combination of the cinnamon, coconut oil, pecans and almond flour may help stabilize blood sugar levels so you are avoiding the sugar rush you may experience from store-bought apple pies.** Another perk of this homemade creation? It calls for Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, which is odorless, flavorless and easily dissolves in hot and cold liquids. It’s a super versatile collagen powder and a must-add when planning out your lunch and dinner menus. Did I mention that our collagen also helps to promote healthy hair, skin, nails and joints?** Yep, it’s that awesome.
Flex your culinary muscles and make this delicious apple pie. It’s the tastiest way to welcome fall.
The Best Apple Pie Recipe
Yields 6-8 Apple Pie servings
- 1 large egg
- ½ C coconut oil (not melted)
- 1 C almond flour
- 2/3 C tapioca flour
- 2 T cinnamon
- 2 large apples (peeled, cored, and thinly sliced)
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 2 T cinnamon
- ½ C gluten-free oats
- ¼ C chopped pecans
- 2 T coconut oil (melted)
- 1 t cinnamon
- 2 T maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and prepare a 9-inch pie dish by greasing it with coconut oil.
- In medium-sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients then add the coconut oil and egg. With a wooden spoon, combine the ingredients until it forms a ball. You may need to use your hand to form the ball.
- Press crust into the pie dish until evenly distributed and pierce with the end of a fork around the edges. Bake pie crust for 12 minutes in the oven.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling by peeling, coring, and slicing the apples. Add all of the filling ingredients into another medium-sized bowl until completely combined.
- Once pie crust is baked, remove from oven and start to add the apples to the pie. One-by-one add an apple slices around the pie in a circular motion to get a flower-like look. Once all apples are placed in the pie, add the leftover sauce over the pie.
- In a small bowl combine the crumble mix and add on top of the apple pie.
- Place pie in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, let cool, and enjoy!