Fall is my favorite season to stock up on warm soups and foods. Our body naturally craves these warms foods as we shift into the colder months and begin to settle into a new routine. What I love about making soups in September is that the local farmers markets are still open and there are still fresh vegetables and herbs in the garden. I appreciate the opportunity to get cozy in the kitchen and cook soups using fresh vegetables that I can store in the freezer during the winter months.
The best way to make any good soup is to start with a solid foundation. This includes onion, celery, carrots and a little bit of minced garlic. You can usually take those four ingredients and make any type of comforting soup you are craving. I was determined to make a delicious Wild Rice Soup and I think this may be the best one I have ever made. This Wild Rice Soup is full of delicious flavors and has a perfect balance with the coconut milk and the rosemary. Other than the creaminess of the soup, my favorite part has to be the added mushrooms and the kale.
I also love the addition of Vital Proteins Chicken Bone Broth Collagen, which elevates the soup’s already nutrient-dense profile. It’s super easy to use, too! I just added the Bone Broth Collagen powder to the pot with vegetables and it dissolved instantly. Our Bone Broth Collagen helps to support healthy hair, skin, nails and joints** while also providing the benefits associated with bone broth – only this time, you get to skip the hours-long simmering of chicken bones. You just need to scoop and stir!
Although this soup is delicious on its own, I like to pair it with a side of sourdough bread or crackers. If you are looking to make it creamier, I suggest taking some of the cooked vegetables out and adding it to a blender with 1 cup of the chicken broth mixture and then putting it back into the pot. If you are someone who enjoys more of a broth soup, I recommend cooking the wild rice on the side and adding it in as you desire.
Wild Rice Soup
Yields 6-8 Wild Rice Soup servings
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 C mushrooms, chopped
- 1 C kale, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1½ C wild rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 C water
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins Chicken Bone Broth Collagen
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 t onion salt
- 2 T rosemary
- Salt and pepper for flavor
- Heat up half of the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once oil is heated, add in the onions and celery and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Once cooked, add in the garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, and mushroom until soft.
- Once the vegetables are cooked through, add in rosemary, onion salt and the other half of the oil. Mix together until evenly combined.
- Add in the Bone Broth Collagen to the water and mix separately.
- Next, add in the coconut milk and bone broth and bring to a boil. Once boiled, add in the wild rice and chopped kale and reduce the heat.
- Cook for about 40 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked. Serve alone or with crackers or bread and enjoy!