By: Kayleigh Lockhart
Kayleigh Lockhart is currently studying naturopathic medicine. She started her wellness journey back in high school, and quickly fell in love with educating others about healthy eating choices. Here, she shares her recipe for Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
If you’re looking for a healthy, easy and super flavorful dinner recipe to make tonight (or to meal prep for later in the week), you won’t find a better fit than this Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe. My favorite thing about this dish is that it's chock full of so many nutrients: carotenoids from the colorful vegetables, healthy fats from the homemade guacamole and nourishment, thanks to the addition of Vital Proteins Beef Bone Broth Collagen, which helps to promote healthy hair, skin, nails and joints.
RELATED: Meal Prep This Taco Salad Bowl for Tuesday Lunch
I love making this recipe when I don’t have enough time to whip up dinner, but it also tastes amazing throughout the week! If you want to meal-prep what my family famously like to call “tacotatoes,” you just need to bake 2-3 sweet potatoes and store in a glass container in the fridge. The ground beef can be made ahead of time, and the guacamole lasts 3-4 days in the fridge as well! All items in this recipe can be refrigerated and saved to be eaten later.
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Yields 3 Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- ½ red onion
- 1 green and 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño
- ½ T cumin, coriander and chili powder
- Red pepper flakes (to top)
- Handful cilantro
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins Beef Bone Broth Collagen
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the guacamole:
- 6 medium avocados
- ½ red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ¼ C chopped cilantro
- 3 jalapeños, chopped
- 2 freshly squeezed limes
- Salt to taste
- Start by baking the sweet potatoes at 350°F in an oven. These will take the longest to cook, so if you’re making this as a current meal, you’ll want to get these ahead of time. Check regularly until each potato is soft and can be poked through easily.
- In a pan over the stove, cook the ground beef with a little bit of grass-fed butter or avocado oil until there is no pink. Add in the cumin, coriander, and chili powder to your liking, and add in 3-4 scoops of Vital Proteins Beef Bone Broth Collagen.
- Turn the heat down low to mix in the seasonings and bone broth thoroughly, adding more oil or fat if it gets too dry. The bone broth collagen will give the beef the most rich, savory depth and flavor!
- In a separate pan, add the sliced onions and peppers and begin to sauté. Cook until soft with a lid on and finish off with high heat to lightly brown them.
- Once everything is done cooking, it’s time to assemble!
- Reheat the sweet potatoes if they were precooked, add in the meat, vegetables, and guacamole, and top with slivered jalapenos and red pepper flakes. Add salt to taste and dig in!