Since Halloween is right around the corner, chances are ghoulish parties and potlucks are quickly filling up your iCal. When it comes to whipping up something scary-good, look no further than this soybean-based Black Pasta recipe. Not only do we like to think the black noodles resemble a witch’s mane, but the deep red tomato sauce brings forth the spooky holiday’s go-to color.
The tomato pasta sauce is a staple in our Italian household and a recipe that my mom learned how to make from my Nana many years ago. It is full of bold Italian flavors thanks to the combination of garlic, basil, Italian seasoning and crushed tomatoes. It is balanced with acidity and spice and topped with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.
I also added Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides to the tomato sauce. It’s a standout ingredient because it’s unflavored, odorless and easily dissolves in hot and cold liquids. Collagen helps to support healthy hair, skin, nails and joints.**
If you have a Halloween event coming up or want to get into the spirit and make something creative for the family, this Black Pasta and tomato sauce is definitely a must. To consume more vegetables, I recommend adding in mushrooms, peppers, spinach and any vegetable of your choice!
Black Pasta Recipe
Yields 5 servings
- 2 C black pasta
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 t onion salt
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1 T fresh parsley
- 2 basil leaves
- ¼ C parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiled, add pasta noodles and cook until noodles are cooked through or as instructed. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- While the water is boiling, and the noodles are cooking begin by preparing the sauce. Add the olive oil to a large skillet and cook over medium-heat. Add the onions and garlic to the oil and stir until soft.
- Once the onions and garlic are cooked, add in the crushed tomatoes, collagen, seasonings and basil leaves. Stir together.
- Once the sauce comes to a light boil, reduce heat and allow the sauce to simmer.
- Finish by topping the pasta with tomato sauce, fresh parsley, parmesan cheese and enjoy!