Caramel apples – but make it spooky.
Our childhoods have seen a fair share of caramel apples. But we’d be willing to bet all our favorite Halloween candy you’ve never experienced these charcoal-coated apples. They may look different but there’s nothing scary about them. Made with Vital Proteins® Collagen Peptides and DIY caramel, these apples are a health-forward way to satisfy any sweetness craving.
As for the “caramel,” we took the DIY route and created our own with maple syrup (you can substitute with honey if you prefer!), full-fat coconut milk and, of course, our Collagen Peptides. Ingredients like coconut oil and pure vanilla extract are added in once the “caramel” is removed from the heat.
Wellness enthusiasts may already know what creates the coat’s dark shade. It’s all about the activated charcoal, which many claim helps with health needs. Whether or not this is true, one thing’s for sure: it makes for a very on-theme dessert. How do you like them apples?
Your new ghoulish snack has been served! Try out our recipe below and share your creation on Instagram and tag @vitalproteins.
Charcoal Caramel Apples
- 2 C full-fat coconut milk
- 1 C maple syrup (or raw honey)
- 3 t pure vanilla extract
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins® Collagen Peptides
- 1 t activated charcoal
- 4-6 granny smith apples
- In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk and maple syrup to a boil over medium-high heat stirring frequently.
- Reduce to a simmer once it's reached boiling and stir in Collagen Peptides. Continue stirring until sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Add more coconut milk if you want to thin it out. Remove from heat, stir in coconut oil, vanilla and activated charcoal until fully incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Dip apples into caramel until fully submerged, place onto wax paper and chill in refrigerator or serve immediately!