These days, Halloween is basically synonymous with candy. Healthy eaters may be stuck—should you stick to your no-sugar rule, or indulge in a bag (or two or three) of Skittles? Fortunately, candy doesn't have to be loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients. In fact, there was a time when candy, short of a little cane sugar here or there, was actually pretty wholesome. There are plenty of homemade candy recipes out there that can satisfy your cravings while letting you remain true to your health ideals.
Enter these sweet and snack-worthy Halloween gummies. Not only are they a healthier alternative to traditional Halloween candies, they're also adorable when made into seasonal molds like skulls, bats, or pumpkins.
Now for the reasons why we vastly prefer these gummies to more conventional holiday treats. For one thing, instead of tons of added sugar, they're lightly sweetened with just three tablespoons of honey. They also pack the nutritional punch of carrots and oranges, and collagen (in the form of our grass-fed, pasture-raised Vital Proteins® Beef Gelatin).
So what are you waiting for? Make these delicious snacks your Halloween treat.
Carrot & Orange Collagen Gummies
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup carrot juice
- 3 tbsp honey
- ½ t ginger
- ¼ cup almond milk or coconut milk
- ½ t of lemon juice
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins® Beef Gelatin
- Add the orange juice to a bowl and sprinkle the Beef Gelatin over top. Let sit for at least 1 minute to let the gelatin bloom.
- Add orange juice and all other ingredients to a saucepan and stir.
- Heat saucepan on medium low, stirring continuously until the gelatin has melted. Do not boil.
- Pour into silicone molds and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Once firm, remove from molds and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.