Summer is the best time to enjoy food on the deck or patio, and what better to enjoy than these slow cooker Hawaiian barbecue chicken tacos. Slow cooker recipes for summer are a great way to avoid heating up the oven in the kitchen or to change up the grill routine. You might associate slow cooker cooking with winter or heavier meals, but it is the perfect method for making tender, juicy chicken to go in these summer tacos.
Slow cooker recipes allow for all the hard work to be done during the day while you work and do other things. Allowing for some preparation time in the morning to get the chicken ready makes this slow cooker recipe for summer go a long way. Start by preparing the sauce that the chicken will marinate in the slow cooker.
The Hawaiian barbecue sauce consists of ingredients you might already have on hand. Pineapple juice from a can or fresh pineapple gives it a signature Hawaiian flavor. Coconut aminos gives these chicken tacos umami, while apple cider vinegar helps to tenderize the chicken with its acidity. Add in additional Collagen Veggie Blend or Collagen Peptides for a boost of collagen protein. Put the chicken in the slow cooker and cover it with the Hawaiian barbecue sauce. The slow cooker should be set to cook on low for seven to eight hours, depending on how large the chicken breasts are.
This slow cooker recipe for summer not only makes perfectly juicy chicken, but also encompasses fresh summer fruit in a slaw to top the Hawaiian barbecue chicken tacos. Fresh pineapple and mango are added with crunchy purple cabbage and red onion for a refreshing, tangy flavor in the tacos. You can also assemble this after preparing the chicken in the slow cooker, and leave refrigerated so that all the flavors meld together.
When it’s time to serve the tacos, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Use two forks and shred the chicken into a large bowl. To keep this slow cooker recipe Paleo friendly, use large lettuce leaves as the taco ‘shells’, or use your favorite type of tortilla. Top the chicken with the mango-pineapple salsa and serve immediately. Enjoy slow cooker recipes for summer starting with these Hawaiian barbecue chicken tacos!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Tacos
Yields 10 servings of Hawaiian Slow Cooker Tacos
- 2 ½ lbs. chicken breasts
- 1 ½ C pineapple juice
- ½ C homemade barbecue sauce
- ⅓ C coconut aminos
- ¼ C apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ t dried ginger
- 2 scoops Collagen Peptides
- Lettuce leaves or tortillas
Mango-Pineapple Slaw Ingredients:
- 1 C shredded purple cabbage
- 1 C fresh diced pineapple
- 1 C fresh diced mango
- ¼ C diced red onion
- 2 T cilantro
- ¼ C full fat coconut milk
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 T hot sauce
- ¼ t sea salt
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing pineapple juice, barbecue sauce, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and Collagen Peptides in a large bowl until well combined.
- Pour sauce all over chicken breast. Cover and set slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours.
- In a large bowl, add in shredded cabbage, pineapple, mango, red onion, cilantro, coconut milk, lime juice, hot sauce and sea salt. Mix thoroughly and set aside in the refrigerator covered.
- Once chicken has cooked, shred chicken breasts with two forks.
- Serve Hawaiian BBQ chicken on top of lettuce leaves or favorite tortillas, then top with a scoop of mango-pineapple slaw.