Spring Forward with These Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
By: Christina Anania
Spring is here! We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the new season than by baking a batch (or two) of these Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes.
The taste of fresh lemon reminds me so much of warm sunny days, when the flowers start to bloom, and the smell of fresh grass is present. When it starts to warm up and the days get longer, it is natural that our bodies want to spend time outdoors and consume lighter, refreshing foods. These Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes do just that, serving as the ultimate spring treat due to its flavor combination of fresh lemon juice and vanilla. You get all the yummy tasting notes in one bite. Plus, Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides is also included in this collagen recipe, which helps to elevate the vanilla flavor.
Enough talking – let’s get to baking!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
Yields 10 to 12 Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- 1 C coconut flour
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t baking powder
- ¼ sea salt
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides
- 3 T poppy seeds
- 4 eggs
- ½ C fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ C coconut oil
- ¼ C almond milk
- ½ C maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 t vinegar
Coconut whipped icing:
- 1 can coconut cream (chilled overnight)
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line a muffin tray with muffin tins. In a food processor combine all dry ingredients and blend together. Then add in the liquid ingredients and mix on high until the cupcake mixture is well combined. This can also be done in a mixing bowl.
- Scoop mixture into muffin tins about ¾ of the way. Bake muffins for 15 minutes and let cool on a cooling rack.
- While muffins are cooling, prepare the icing. In a chilled aluminum bowl, combine the chilled coconut cream (remove liquid), maple syrup and vanilla together and whip with a hand mixer.
- Once whipped, top the cupcakes with the coconut whipped cream, poppy seeds, and some lemon zest.