By: Lindsay Zacharia
Lindsay Zacharia is a clean food and wellness blogger, who currently shares her recipes and lifestyle tips on her Instagram blog @thesimplebite. Here, she shares her recipe for Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches.
What is the best way to cool off in the heat? We’re placing our bets on these decadent Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches! Not only are they ideal summer treats, but we promise they’ll also serve as your go-to snack on a warm day. What’s best is that this recipe calls for only a handful of ingredients. Dairy-free butter, coconut sugar, chocolate chunks (and more) make up the soft cookie exterior while frozen bananas, vanilla extract, and coconut milk make up the “ice cream” portion of this recipe. There is a hidden, undetectable surprise in this dessert, however. Two scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides are used in the cookie batter and creamy interior. If you have yet to cook or bake with this standout ingredient, here’s why you’ll love it: Our hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides is easily soluble in hot and cold liquids and foods, and helps to promote stronger hair, skin, nails, and joints.
RELATED: How to Use Collagen (Plus, 15 Recipes to Get You Started)
Are you ready to cool down with these cookies? We assure you they’re a crowd pleaser.
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich Recipe
Yields 3 big Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches or 6 small Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- 6 T dairy-free butter
- 3 T coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ⅔ C oat flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- ¼ t salt
- ⅓ C chocolate chunks
Whipped “Ice Cream” Ingredients:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a mixer until smooth.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients for the cookie to the mixer and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients for the cookies (besides the chocolate chunks) to the mixer and mix until combined.
- Fold the chocolate chunks into the mixture.
- Scoop the mixture into circles on a pan lined with parchment paper (either 6 large scoops or 12 small scoops).
Bake the cookies for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- While the cookies are baking, begin to make the whipped ice cream (or feel free to use your own.)
- Place the frozen bananas and refrigerated coconut milk in a blender. Since it is served immediately, use ½ a banana and ½ cup of coconut milk per person. Tip: When measuring the coconut milk, use the hardened milk only.
- Add the vanilla and collagen and continue to blend until smooth (do not over mix).
- When the cookies are cool, fill the inside of two cookies with the whipped “ice cream”.
- Serve and enjoy immediately. Any remaining whipped “ice cream” can be frozen. Simply remove from the freezer for 15 minutes before enjoying again.