There's nothing like starting your day with baked goods, which is why you need to try these Blueberry Perogies. This recipe is slightly different from your traditional cheese and potato perogies, but you won't be disappointed by these warm Blueberry Perogies when they comes out of the oven. Plus, the cinnamon infuses the perogies with a sweet and spicy flavor, and creates a beautiful aroma while they bake in the oven.
These perogies feature a warm strudel-like texture with a crispy exterior and warm, soft center. Want to mix it up even more? You can adjust the ingredients of the filling as well. Each batch is made with Vital Proteins® Original Collagen Peptides ($25; shop now on vitalproteins.com), an unflavored and odorless collagen powder that helps boost your daily collagen intake with every bite.
No matter how you prepare them, they are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven and topped with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or drizzled with maple syrup.
Yields 10-12 Blueberry Perogies (about 3 to 4 servings)
- 2 C 1-to-1 gluten-free flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins® Original Collagen Peptides
- 1/2 C unsalted butter
- 1/2 C water
Egg wash for brushing:
- 1 whisked egg
- 1 T of water
- 1 C blueberries (fresh)
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 t lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet to a baking pan.
- Combine filling ingredients. With a fork, mash up in a bowl until it becomes a jam consistency and set aside.
- In a food processor, add all of the pastry ingredients and pulse until a dough-like texture is formed.* Add the ball of dough to a bowl and let sit in the fridge for up to 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has set, sprinkle extra flour on the counter and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is about 1/8-inch thick.
- Use a circle cut out or a glass cup and cut dough into roughly 4-inch diameter circles.
- Add about 2 teaspoons of filling to the middle of each circle. Dab some egg wash around the edges of the circle and begin to fold one side over.
- Use the end of the fork or your fingers to pinch the edges closed.
- Add egg wash on top of the perogies and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for up to 12 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Once cooled, add whipped cream, ice cream or maple syrup and enjoy.