Warmer, sunny days have us craving all the smoothies. There's simply nothing better than a chilled, creamy drink to kick-start your morning routine! While you'd be hard-pressed to find us an option we don't enjoy — like this Jennifer Aniston-inspired one — when it comes to picking favorites, a banana smoothie recipe tops our list!
In light of this, we're going to answer all your most pressing questions about crafting the perfect banana smoothie recipe. Things like "are banana smoothies good for you?" "how do you make a banana smoothie from scratch?" and "are smoothies better with milk or water?" will be explored so can put your best sip forward. Scroll on to learn more!
Are banana smoothies good for you?
Bananas are a fan-favorite fruit for a reason. Underneath their bright yellow exterior is a produce that’s rich in fiber, folate and antioxidants, like vitamin C. Also, and perhaps most notably, bananas are packed with potassium. According to research, this is key to helping maintain fluid levels in your body. In addition to this, bananas also contain prebiotics. These are important in supporting overall health and wellness since nearly 70-80% of the immune system resides in the digestive system.**
Now that you know what bananas bring to the table, it’s no wonder they make an excellent addition to your smoothie. From breakfast to a nutritious afternoon treat, there are so many ways to add them to your regimen. Take it from Caley Crawford, Director of Education at Row House, who loves reaching for a banana after her workout: "I really love smoothies with a coconut milk base, with kale, banana, protein, peanut butter or almond butter and avocado. A little blend of all the nutrients my body needs to refuel after a tough workout!"
How do you make a banana smoothie from scratch?
So you want to make a banana smoothie from scratch? Great! All you need are a few simple ingredients to blend up something delicious. The most important of these items includes a banana, milk and ice. Other popular additions include greek yogurt, vanilla extract, honey and cinnamon.
Inspired by this popular Vital Proteins® smoothie recipe, here's our take on how to make a banana smoothie from scratch:
Easiest Banana Smoothie Recipe
Yields 1 serving
- 1 C almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1/2 T honey
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins® Original Collagen Peptides
- Handful of ice (optional)
- Add the ingredients to your blender in the order listed so the liquid is at the bottom.
- Blend on medium speed, increasing to high speed until the smoothie is thick and smooth.
Are smoothies better with milk or water?
If you're wondering whether smoothies are better with milk or water, the answer largely depends on your tastes, preferences and dietary restrictions. Below, we'll break this down for you:
- Banana smoothie recipe with milk
- Milk is a great way to ensure a creamier smoothie, while also serving as a great way to up your calcium and vitamin D intake. One thing to note, however, is milk can come with more fat and calories than other alternatives.
- Banana smoothie recipe with almond milk
- Almond milk is a great dairy, gluten and lactose-free option. While it still gives your smoothie that same creaminess you'd get from regular milk, it comes with less fat and calories per serving. Looking for another dairy-free, gluten-free option? Scoop up Vital Proteins Collagen Creamer®!
- Banana smoothie recipe with yogurt
- Love the taste of a thicker smoothie? Turn to yogurt! While it's not technically a liquid, it adds a denser consistency to your drink. Bonus: You'll enjoy a boost of probiotics in every sip.
- Banana smoothie recipe with water
- For a no-calorie addition your smoothie, water does the trick! While it doesn't have nutritional properties, adding water to your smoothie will help up your hydration. (Heads up, your smoothie will run a little thinner as a result.)
The best banana smoothie with collagen
While there are many banana smoothie recipes out there, the one listed below is a fan-favorite. It's made with bananas, almond butter and fiber-rich granola. Plus, it’s topped off with a scoop of Vital Performance™ Vanilla Protein. Get the scoop on how to blend it up, below!
BANANA BREAD PROTEIN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
Yields 1 Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 C almond milk
- 1/2 C old-fashioned oats or granola
- 1 T almond butter
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1-2 scoops Vital Performance™ Vanilla Protein
- 1 squeeze of agave syrup
- Place all ingredients into a blender until smooth, creamy and well combined. (Pro tip: Start on low speed and gradually work your way up to high speed.)
- Pour into a glass, top with a straw and enjoy!