With layers of thick vanilla custard and graham cracker crumble, you’d never guess these Banana Pudding Parfaits are gluten and grain free and can be made without any dairy. Our Beef Gelatin makes the custard smooth and creamy, without taking away from the sweet vanilla flavor. Layer them with fresh banana slices and whipped coconut cream and you’ve got an easy to make, show-stopping treat!
Dairy-Free Banana Pudding Parfait
Yields 2-4 servings
- 2 C milk of choice, divided (coconut milk, nut milks or dairy-based milks will all work)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ C honey or maple syrup
- 4 t tapioca starch
- 1 T coconut oil or ghee
- 2 T vanilla extract
- ¼ t sea salt
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1-2 C of whipped coconut cream
- 1 C blanched almond flour
- ¼ C tapioca starch
- 2 T coconut sugar or date sugar
- 1 t blackstrap molasses
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- ½ t sea salt
- 2 T coconut oil or ghee
- Heat 1 cup of milk in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Cook until it feels warm to the touch but not boiling.
- While the milk is warming, add a new ½ cup of milk, the Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin, egg yolks, honey, and tapioca starch to a medium bowl. Whisk well and let sit 2-3 minutes for the gelatin to bloom. Slowly pour in the heated milk while whisking continuously. Pour the mix back into the saucepan and keep the heat on medium low.
- Whisking continuously, cook the custard base until it begins to thicken, about 5-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Pour the mix into a large container and move it to the fridge to chill until set up, about 1-2 hours.
- Once chilled, it will be thick like jello. Whisk in the remaining ½ cup of milk to smooth the custard out. If it appears chunky and is difficult to whisk, you can use a mixer to get rid of any lumps.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Combine all the graham cracker crumble ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process until crumbly, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Dump the mix out onto a lined sheet pan and spread it out fairly evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the mixture has turned a dark golden color. You will want to remove the pan 1 or 2 times throughout the baking process to toss the crumble so that it browns evenly.
- Allow the crumble to cool completely on the pan before laying in the parfaits.
- Layer the custard, graham crumble, banana slices, and whipped coconut cream into parfait glasses or bowls. Serve immediately or chill for 1-2 hours to let the flavors soak into the graham before serving.