We’re coming in hot with a spin on your typical morning breakfast! Eggs are one of my favorite ways to kick off the day. Not only are they delicious but their versatility allows us to enjoy them in a variety of meals. One way I love eating my eggs is to cook them in a pan with simmering tomatoes and multiple spices. This is actually called Shakshuka, a traditional Middle Eastern recipe that combines simple, nourishing ingredients like tomatoes, onions, garlic, and spices in an egg base.
Shakshuka is seasoned with bold flavors and delivers a heat kick thanks to the cayenne, paprika and chili powder. Feel free to control the dish’s spice level by adding as little or as much spice as you desire. What I love about this recipe is the simplicity of the ingredients as well as the whole foods that are in it. And although Shakshuka is commonly served for breakfast, it still makes a wonderful lunch and dinner option as well. This gorgeous Middle Eastern dish is one that you will want to make over and over again.
I decided to add a twist on the traditional Middle Eastern Shakshuka and add in some Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. It is flavorless and easily soluble in hot and cold liquids and foods, making it an ideal add-in to any meal or beverage. Collagen provides many wonderful health properties that you’ll want to take advantage of. Our Collagen Peptides helps to support stronger hair, skin, nails, and joints.** Collagen is also bioavailable, meaning that it is digested and absorbed by the body quickly for maximum benefits.
Yields 4-5 Shakshuka servings
- 4-5 eggs
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped and seeded)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t thyme
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ C cilantro
- ¼ C feta
- In a medium cooking pan or cast iron skillet, cook olive oil on medium heat.
- Add in diced onion and minced garlic until they become soft.
- Once onion and garlic are cooked, add in the chopped pepper and mix in the Collagen Peptides and spices. Mix in well and cook for about 5-8 minutes or until pepper is soft.
- Add in tomato paste and tomatoes. Mix all ingredients together and cook until bubbled. Reduce heat and crack each egg into the sauce.
- Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until eggs are cooked. Garnish with feta and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!