A salad that brings together kale and butternut squash is a favorite of mine during the long winter months. The fresh, crispy kale paired with soft butternut squash and crunchy chickpeas make for a delicious combination. This Roasted Chickpea Salad is simple to make and is packed with flavors that always has me coming back for more – and I’m sure it’ll have the same effect on you!
With the use of wonderful spices such as paprika, garlic, salt and pepper, there is no need for extra dressings. It is loaded with healthy fats from the avocado and protein from the chickpeas. This simple recipe works great as a starter dish for dinner or a lunch meal. It is best to eat when it is fresh out of the oven, but feel free to save some as leftovers. All you have to do once you’re ready to dig into said leftovers? Place it in the oven for 10 minutes for ultimate warmth and crispiness.
In addition to the ingredients I mentioned, I also added a scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides to the butternut squash and chickpeas before placing the veggies in the oven. I’m a big fan of ingestible collagen – Vital Proteins’ collagen powders, specifically – because it’s not only unflavored and odorless, but also easily dissolves in hot and cold liquids. Talk about versatile!
I hope that you enjoy this cozy roasted salad as much as I do. Show us your culinary creations on Instagram by tagging @vitalproteins.
Roasted Chickpea Salad
Yields 4 servings
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, chopped, seeds removed)
- 2 C chickpeas (rinsed)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 2 C kale (chopped)
- 1 avocado (pit and skin removed)
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 T garlic (minced)
- 1 t paprika
- ¼ t sea salt
- ¼ t black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Rinse the chickpeas and cut the butternut squash into cubes. Line chickpeas and butternut squash on a pan and add half of the olive oil, paprika, collagen powder and minced garlic. Place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes.
- While the chickpeas and butternut squash are baking, wash the kale and coat with the other half of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Bake for about 10 minutes and remove from oven.
- Once the chickpeas and butternut squash are done, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Serve everything together on a plate with the avocado and enjoy!