The weather is warming up and we are here for all the delicious, refreshing treats! One of the best parts about seasonal baked goods is the delicious fruit that comes with them! While berries are a classic addition to any summer treat, we’re mixing it up with these tasty, protein-packed Orange Cream Cookies. They are simple and sweet, without being overpowering.
Wondering what goes into each of these cookies? Well, the base is made with fiber-rich almond flour, creating its smooth, light texture. We then add olive oil, full of healthy fats, which makes up the soft, fluffy inside of the cookie. In regard to what we arguably consider the most important part – ahem, flavor, of course – we added two scoops of the Vital Performance™ Vanilla Protein ($29.99; shop now at vitalproteins.com), which pairs perfectly with the natural sweetness that comes from the orange. Then top each cookie off with a classic, 2-ingredient icing.
This simple protein recipe can be made in one bowl and calls for only 10 minutes of baking time. Ready to whip up a new summer treat to share with your friends and family? Get started below!
Orange Cream Cookies
Yields 12 Cookies
- 1½ C almond flour
- 2 scoops Vital Performance™ Vanilla Protein
- 1½ t baking soda
- 1 egg
- ⅓ C granulated monk fruit or sugar
- ⅓ C olive oil
- 2 T grated orange peel
- 1 T fresh orange juice
- Dash of salt
- 3 T powdered monk fruit or powdered sugar
- 1 T hot water
- Additional orange peel or orange juice for flavoring
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the egg, olive oil and granulated monk fruit.
- Once well combined, add in the remaining ingredients, folding in the orange peel last.
- Roll the dough into 12 spheres and press each down with the palm of your hand on a greased and lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the outside of each cookie slightly browns.
- Remove from the oven and let each cool for 10 minutes (note: the cookies will be soft to the touch when removed and will solidify while cooling).
- Prepare the icing by mixing all icing ingredients in a small bowl (tip: add more sugar for a thicker consistency or more water for a lighter consistency).
- Dip the cookies in the icing or lightly drizzle on top.
- Enjoy with additional orange peel or slices on top!