Tonight's Dinner Menu Calls for These Meatballs
By: Kayleigh Lockhart
Kayleigh Lockhart is currently studying naturopathic medicine. She started her wellness journey back in high school, and quickly fell in love with educating others about healthy eating choices. Here, she shares her healthy Meatballs recipe.
This recipe for meatballs is perfect for busy people who want a quick and easy weeknight dinner, giving them the full Italian experience in just 30 minutes. This rich, creamy marinara sauce encompasses flavorful herbs and creamy coconut for a decadent dinner you’ll want to cook up night after night. Incorporating Vital Proteins Beef Bone Broth Collagen adds even more depth to the savory flavor of this meal, while adding a slight crisp texture to the meatballs. Why add Bone Broth Collagen to your collagen recipe? It boosts flavor and helps to support healthier hair, skin, nails, and joints while bringing your new favorite dinner recipe to life.
Yields 25 meatballs
Ingredients for the Meatballs:
- 2 lbs. grass-fed ground beef
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 2 T almond meal
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Beef Bone Broth Collagen
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 11/2 t oregano seasoning
- 1 t salt grass-fed ghee for cooking
Ingredients for the Marinara Sauce:
- Heat up extra virgin olive oil in a pan and add the minced garlic, slightly sautéing.
- Pour the tomatoes into the pan and add water, further crushing the tomatoes until smooth.
- Add the salt, oregano, and basil in the sauce, and allow the mixture to simmer.
- While the marinara simmers for about 15 minutes, prepare the meatballs.
- Chop up the onion and garlic and mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, excluding the ghee (you can also use coconut oil or olive oil, but ghee has a very high smoke point and won’t burn easily).
- Use your hands or a spatula to mix everything together and roll individual meatballs into your desired size.
- Heat a pan or cast-iron skillet on the stove top and add your cooking oil.
- Cook each meatball for about 2-3 minutes on each side, making sure to rotate to cook the entire outside.
- Once the meatballs are done and marinara has simmered, pour the marinara onto the meatballs and allow them to cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, cooking the inside of the meatballs. 10. Top with fresh basil or oregano and serve hot!