This Matcha Crepe Cake Is the Perfect Excuse for a Celebration
By: Grace Gavilanes
There’s no better way to celebrate anything than with cake. Is it someone’s birthday? Serve them a slice or two of their favorite confection. Did your BFF finally get promoted at work? Forget happy hour drinks and bake them a dessert so good, they’ll be dreaming about it for weeks to come. Enter: our Matcha Crepe Cake, a sweet little departure from your ordinary baking adventure. And you won’t even have to turn on your oven to make it.
Close to 25 crepes are stacked on top of each other to form this delightfully decadent sight, made possible with our Matcha Collagen and the Coconut Collagen Creamer that’s used to make the creamy, dairy-free whipped cream you see oozing from the sides. The bulk of the “baking” is done on a stovetop, where the 7-ingredient batter is transformed into very thin pancakes a.k.a. crepes.
All that’s left to do is to top off your new creation with a sprinkling of matcha, take a few pics for Instagram and dig in!
Matcha Crepe Cake
Yields 1 cake
- ½ C filtered water
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen
- 6 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 T maple syrup or honey
- Pinch of sea salt
Butter, ghee or coconut oil, for cooking
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, maple syrup and sea salt to a blender. Blend on high until frothy.
- Add in Matcha Collagen and water. Keep the batter in the blender for easy dispensing.
- Heat a large crepe pan or nonstick skillet (minimum 8-10″) over medium heat.
Grease the pan with a small amount of butter and pour about ½ cup of batter into the pan. Swirl the pan quickly to cover the bottom and distribute the batter evenly.
Cook until the edges begin to brown, then gently flip the crepe over with a large spatula (this may take practice). Cook until the second side browns, about 1-2 more minutes.
- Slide the crepe onto a clean surface and cover with a tea towel to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- On a serving plate, place one crepe, golden side up. Spread ¼ cup whipped cream over crepe top with a second crepe.
- Using about 20-24 crepes total, continue layering crepes and whipped cream. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour or overnight.
- Dust with Matcha powder on top, slice and enjoy!
Dairy-Free Whipped Cream
- Refrigerate can of coconut milk, 8 hours or overnight.
- Place mixing bowl in refrigerator or freezer for 1 hour before making coconut cream.
- Open can of coconut cream (do not shake or mix the can prior). Scoop solid layer of coconut cream into chilled mixing bowl. Reserve remaining coconut water for another use.
- Using a hand or electric mixer, beat coconut cream on medium to high speed. Beat until fluffy and light.
- Add 2 scoops of Vital Proteins’ Coconut Collagen Creamer, beat 1 more minute. Taste and add vanilla if desired.