Celebrate the Holiday Season with Our Homemade Eggnog
Cozy up to your loved ones with a glass of one of our holiday favorites: Homemade Eggnog. Our version is served warm and frothy, with just a touch of whipped cream and nutmeg on top. Adding Beef Gelatin works great in place of the usual egg whites so there’s no need for raw egg in this recipe. Want to serve it cold? See below for a modification using our Collagen Peptides instead.
Our Collagen Peptides is sourced from bovine hide and is made without dairy or gluten.
Yields 4-6 servings
- 3½ C almond milk, divided (coconut milk or dairy milks will also work)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin*
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓ – ½ C honey or maple syrup (adjust for mild or moderate sweetness)
- ¼ C butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- ½ t nutmeg
- ½ t cinnamon
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 4 oz. rum or bourbon (optional)
- Combine ½ cup of the almond milk with the Beef Gelatin in a small bowl. Stir well and set aside to bloom for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and honey to a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of almond milk to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla bean, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sea salt. Once the butter has dissolved. Turn the heat off, cover with a lid, and allow to steep for 10 minutes to help the vanilla bean infuse flavor into the milk.
- Once the milk has steeped, turn the heat on to medium low. Add the bloomed gelatin and continue to stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Remove the vanilla bean.
- With the hand mixer running, add the warm milk to the fluffy egg yolks in small batches to temper the eggs (adding too much liquid too quickly can curdle the eggs). Once all the milk is added, move the speed to high and mix until thick and frothy. This can also be done with a blender or immersion blender.
- Add in rum or bourbon, as desired, and serve the eggnog warm or room temperature.
*Note: to serve the eggnog cold, swap out the Beef Gelatin for our Collagen Peptides. Simply skip the step of blooming the gelatin and add the Collagen Peptides. Once the warm milk mixture is blended together with the whipped up egg yolks, the eggnog can be refrigerated until ready to serve. It may need to be shaken just before serving. Take note that our gelatin will create a slightly thicker and frothier beverage than the peptides will.