This Dairy-Free Butter Pecan Ice Cream Was Made For Warm Days
Different occasions call for different flavors of ice cream. But, in my opinion, it’s pretty hard to reach for any flavor other than creamy butter pecan — especially when it's homemade!
Don't get me wrong, I still get excited when I find a dairy and sugar-free version at the grocery store, but while I'm satisfied with the taste, more than half of the ingredients are unknown to me (not great!). This is where my recipe comes in.
My minimal-ingredient dish includes coconut milk and coconut cream to keep the consistency very rich and creamy. There’s another perk to making a batch at home too: You get to pick the ingredients, portions and any little additions you’d like to add, such as a few scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides in each serving! You won’t find an ice cream as good as this in any store! Scroll down to see how to make it in your own kitchen.
Dairy-Free Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
Yields 6 Servings
- 2 13.6 oz. cans coconut milk
- 2/3 C maple sugar
- 1 C coconut cream
- 2 t vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 ¼ C pecans (chopped)
- 2 T ghee, or butter flavored coconut oil for DF
- 1 1/4 C raw pecans (roughly chopped)
- Start by making an alternative “sweetened condensed” coconut milk by adding the cans of coconut milk and maple/coconut sugar, whisking and bringing to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium so the coconut will continue to bubble. Stir occasionally for 20 minutes or until you see it visibly thicken.
- Remove from the stove and add in your vanilla and salt. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- In the meantime, chop up your pecans. You can add them raw, or lightly toast them with coconut oil to give them a deeper flavor.
- Once at room temp or cooler, add in the coconut cream, collagen and ghee and churn for about 25 minutes in an ice cream maker. Add in the pecans and mix thoroughly.
- Place in the freezer to store the ice cream, and allow it to rise to room temp for about 15 minutes before scooping to serve. Enjoy!
Shop Collagen Peptides