Shannon Flanagan is a certified personal trainer. Follow her on Instagram (@shanagan9) for a sneak peek at her workouts and inspirational quotes. Ahead, she shares her favorite treadmill workouts.
I love doing a treadmill workout 1-2 times a week. You don’t need any equipment and you don’t need to think too much about it. All you need? Find your favorite podcast or album and press play right before your run.
I am going to take you through a few of my favorite treadmill workouts. If you don’t have a lot of time, this killer 20-minute run is for you. If you have a little more time, I have a 45-minute run for you. And if time is endless for you, there’s a 60-minute run that will get your heart pumping.
Before you step on a treadmill, I would take 5-10 minutes to warm up your body and get your joints moving properly.
The Warm Up
Start in a quadruped position. Bring your spine to extension on an inhale, followed by flexion on an exhale. Repeat.
While side lying, flex the top hip above 90 degrees and to keep the pelvis stacked to support the knee with a foam roll or medicine ball if needed. Begin rotating the top shoulder toward the floor. Maintain contact with the foam roll/ball or floor as rotation occurs.
From the floor, place front leg in a 90-degree angle directly out in front of you with the knee flat on the ground. Do the same with the other leg behind you. Place hands on the floor on each side of the front leg. Slowly bring your chest towards your knee, keeping your shoulders squared to the mat. Stay active in that position for 6-10 breaths.
Downward Dog to Runner's Lunge
3xs each side
Start in a push up plank position. Exhale and push your hips back into a downward dog. Bring your right leg towards your right hand. Exhale your right hand to the ceiling. Repeat on the left.
The Treadmill Workouts
Note: RPE is rate of perceived exertion
- 0-3:00 minute jog pace RPE 5
- 3:00-4:00 RPE 7 (.5-2.0 faster)
- 4:00-5:00 recover (walk or light jog)
- 5-minute AMRAP
- 30-second RPE 8
- 30-second RPE 6
- 5-minute AMRAP
- 45-second RPE 8-9
- 15-second Recovery (if you are comfortable jumping on the sides of the treadmill, do so. Otherwise, take it down to a complete walk.)
- 15:00-16:00 RECOVER
- 16:00-20:00 6% incline jog RPE 7-8
- 0:00-5:00 walk/jog (warm-up pace)
- 5:00-7:00 3 % incline RPE 6-7
- 7:00-8:00 6% incline RPE 7-8
- 8:00-9:00 1 % incline RPE 8-9
- 9:00- 10:00 RECOVER
- 10:00-12:00 4% incline RPE 7
- 12:00-13:00 8% RPE 8
- 13:00-14:00 1% incline RPE 9
- 14:00-15:00 RECOVER
- 15:00-19:00 2% incline jog RPE 6-7
- 19:00-20:00 RECOVER
- 20:00-22:00 4% incline RPE 7
- 22:00-23:00 8 % incline RPE 8
- 23:00-24:00 1% incline RPE 9
- 24:00-25:00 RECOVER
- 25:00-27:00 5% incline RPE 7
- 27:00-28:00 10 % incline RPE 8
- 28:00-29:00 1% incline RPE 9
- 29:00-30:00 RECOVER
- 30:00-34:00 4% incline 6-7 RPE
- 34:00-35:00 RECOVER
- 35:00-36:00 1% RPE 6
- 36:00-37:00 1% RPE 7
- 37:00-38:00 1% RPE 8
- 38:00-39:00 1% RPE 9
- 39:00-40:00 RECOVER
- Repeat the last 5 minutes one more time. Try to start and end a little faster.
30- to 60-Minute Run/Walk
- 5-minute 1% run RPE 7-8
- 5-minute 10-15% walk RPE 7-8
*Repeat 3-6 times.