Next time that comfort food craving hits, dig into this perfect bowl of Slow-Cooker Beef Stew. It’s packed full of nutrients from veggies, with a bit of potato for your carbohydrate needs, and health benefits thanks to our Collagen Peptides, which helps to support healthier hair, skin, nails and joints.** With just minutes of prep, all the heavy lifting is done by your crockpot while you’re off at work.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cubed to 1"
- 2 T tapioca or arrowroot starch
- ¼ C white wine
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 4 carrots (chopped)
- 1 lb. potatoes of choice, cubed large to 2″ (sub parsnips for lower carb)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 sprig each of fresh thyme, oregano, and rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 C broth or stock of choice
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 ½ t sea salt
- ½ t black pepper
- 8 oz. frozen peas
- 2-4 T lard, tallow, coconut oil, or ghee for sautéing
- 1-2 scoops Collagen Peptides per serving
- Toss the stew meat together with the tapioca starch in a large bowl until the meat is well coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of high-heat cooking fat to the pan and about half the coated stew meat. Cook until browned on all sides.
- Repeat with the second half of the stew meat, adding more cooking fat, as needed. Set the browned meat aside.
- Add the white wine to the skillet to deglaze and scrape the brown bits off the bottom.
- Pour the liquid out into a minimum 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic, herbs, and bay leaves to the slow cooker. Add the reserved meat over top.
- Whisk together the broth, tomato paste, sea salt, and black pepper. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Stir in the frozen peas for 2-3 minutes until they’ve warmed. Remove the bay leaves and remaining sprigs of herbs.
- Stir 1-2 scoops Collagen Peptides, per serving.