Nothing beats ordering takeout after a long day of work. If you’re anything like me, my go-to Chinese takeout meal is crispy chicken. If I could eat it multiple times a week, I would! But let's be real for a moment: getting takeout on the regular isn’t the healthiest option for meals. If you’re craving that signature Chinese dish, but are aiming to keep things on the healthier side, you’re going to love this meal.
In as long as it’d take you to order, pick up and drive it home, you can easily prepare it. Better yet, you’ll know exactly what you’re adding (aka healthy fats, meat, gluten-free cassava flour and no nasty cooking oils or additives like MSG). Plus, you won’t be finding Vital Proteins Chicken Bone Broth Collagen from your local restaurant, but you will in this recipe! So go ahead and give this one a go and surprise everyone with a better-for-you version that can be made just as easily at home.
Crispy Breaded Sesame Chicken Recipe
Yields 4 to 5 servings
- 1 lb. skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 C cassava flour
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/2 t paprika
- 2 T ghee
- 2 T honey
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 T coconut aminos
- 2 T tahini
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins Chicken Bone Broth Collagen
- Sesame seeds
- Get three bowls ready to bread the chicken. Add cassava flour, salt, pepper and paprika to one bowl. Add the beaten eggs to the second and clean chicken cubes to the last. Set aside a plate to place the chicken once it's breaded.
- Take chicken pieces and coat them in the cassava flour, followed by the egg, and then once more in the flour. Place each piece on the clean plate until the whole batch is done. Set aside.
- Put a pan on the stove on high heat, add ghee or butter and melt. Ghee will have a higher smoke point so it is less likely to burn, but butter will also work. Get the pan very hot.
- Add each chicken piece to the pan and rotate so it gets browned on each side. Line a clean plate with paper towels so when the chicken is done, any excess oil will get soaked up.
- To prepare the sauce, combine all ingredients into a bowl and whisk so it’s well incorporated. Transfer to a clean pan and heat.
- Transfer the chicken to the pan and gently toss to make sure each piece is thoroughly coated in the sauce. While this pan keeps warm, prepare white rice in a separate pan.
- Remove from heat and plate. Add the chicken and sauce over rice and top with chopped chives and sesame seeds to garnish!