If you’re dying to indulge in a sweet treat, but are avoiding processed or sugary foods, this is the perfect recipe for you. It takes a little bit of time, but the assembly is so easy and the final product is a decadent dessert that is definitely worth every bit of effort.
In this recipe, there are perfect notes of tartness balanced by coconut yogurt and green apples, topped with the sweetness of your own homemade caramel! Coconut sugar has a very caramelized flavor naturally and makes the perfect substitute for a healthy version of this. On top of that, you’re getting probiotics from the yogurt and upping your collagen intake, courtesy of Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides — all in a super delicious dessert!
Ready to dive in? Of course, you are! Scroll below to start putting it together.
Apple Coconut Caramel Yogurt Parfait
Yields 3 servings
Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 2 C green apples
- 2 t cinnamon
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ C coconut sugar
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides
- 1 t salt
- Coconut yogurt or whipped cream
- Start by preparing the caramel sauce since it will take the longest to make. In a saucepan, combine the ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. When it reaches a boil, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for about 30-35 minutes until slightly darker. Make sure to continually stir until it has thickened to a syrup (but remember, it hardens as it’s cooled). Once removed from the heat, stir in the collagen.
- Let the caramel cool to room temp and pour it into a container and store in the refrigerator. Allow it to thicken for 2-3 hours before adding to the parfaits.
- Peel the skins of your apples and slice them into smaller pieces before transferring them to a new saucepan. Melt the coconut oil and add in the salt, keeping on medium heat until the apples are soft, then start to crisp and lightly brown on the edges.
- Remove the apples from the heat and allow them to cool.
- For assembly, stack layers of coconut yogurt, granola and apples, and top by drizzling the homemade caramel over the top. Serve cold. Enjoy!