Do you ever find yourself looking for a quick snack, either to give you a boost of energy at home or something to serve as fuel before an early-morning run? I know I do! Typically, I’ll reach for ingredients to make something chocolatey or super sweet to feed that craving at the same time. However, sometimes a lighter tasting snack is more satisfying, which is why I’m excited to share my collagen recipe for these Lemon Poppy Seed Balls.
They are the perfect combination of creamy, chewy and light, and boasts healthy fats and protein to provide you with a boost to your routine. The addition of Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides also makes it a standout since it helps up your collagen intake with every bite. Plus, it’s a versatile ingredient that can be added to any recipe since it easily dissolves in hot and cold liquids.
This recipe calls for lemon juice and zest for a twist all citrus lovers will be craving for days to come. Keep reading for the full recipe breakdown and share your culinary creations with us by tagging us @vitalproteins on Instagram.
Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Balls
Yields 20-25 balls
- ⅓ C coconut butter
- ¼ C maple syrup
- 1½ C almond flour
- ¼ C coconut flour
- 2 squeezed lemons (or use 4 T lemon juice)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 T poppy seeds
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides
- Toppings: unsweetened coconut flakes
- Melt the coconut butter in a small pan over medium heat, and combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Test the consistency of the batter, it should form into a large dough ball inside the food processor, but you can add more of certain ingredients depending on if it is too dry or too soft.
- Use a spoon to remove a little bigger than a quarter size amount of dough. Roll in the palm of your hands to form the shape, then coat each ball with either coconut flakes or more melted coconut butter if you prefer a glaze.
- Let the balls set in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, then store in an airtight container and enjoy!