Is it just me or is there something completely addicting about candy bars! I’m not sure if it’s the overall sweetness, the number of layers in each bite or just having something to indulge in, but I think it’s time we bring these into the kitchen! And if you're ready for a recipe filled with all the candy bar perks with none of the guilt, these homemade candy bars hit the spot. Better yet, they are completely customizable with pantry items you already have!
The bars feature a sweet, thick crust, a creamy nutty center and, of course, chocolate! On top of the delicious layers and flavors, the good-for-you ingredients sneak in a couple of benefits. The recipe features coconut oil for healthy fats, nut butter for some protein and Vital Proteins® Collagen Peptides! Now when was the last time you saw all of that in a candy bar?
Ready to unwrap this recipe? Let’s get started!
Homemade Candy Bars Recipe
Yields 8 Bars
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 T room temperature coconut oil
- 1 C almond flour
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Unflavored Collagen Peptides
- 1/4 C honey or sweetener
- Pinch of salt
- ½ C smooth nut butter (we used almond)
- ¼ C honey
- ⅓ C nuts (we used peanuts)
- Dash of salt
- 1 C dark chocolate
- 2 t coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and begin to develop the crust.
- Mix the egg, vanilla, honey and coconut oil for the crust in a bowl until well combined.
- Add all dry ingredients into the bowl and mix.
- Grease a loaf pan and pour the crust mixture in the center. You can now use a spatula to spread out the mixture to cover the full pan.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes and let it cool for 20 minutes once removed.
- While the crust is cooling, mix the almond butter and honey in a bowl until smooth. Once the crust is cool, pour the mixture on top, ensuring it is evenly spread.
- Top this layer off with your nuts, and sprinkle on the sea salt.
- Wrap the pan in clear wrap and place it in the freezer for 1 hour or overnight (make sure your pan is completely cool prior).
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil and stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the last layer and place back in the freezer for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Slice into bars, store in the freezer and enjoy!