This homemade pesto is so good, you’ll want to drop everything you’re doing at this moment and whip it up in your kitchen. Don’t worry, we won’t judge – mostly because making this collagen recipe takes almost no time at all. Plus, it’s great as a dip with vegetables and crackers or as a pasta and pizza sauce — the options are endless!
Traditionally, Pesto is made with parmesan cheese and pine nuts. However, I wanted to make a pesto that was creamy and dairy free. The soaked cashews allow for a smooth and creamy texture, making it a wonderful dairy-free spread or dip. The nutritional yeast mimics a nutty cheese flavor and, with the combination of fresh basil and garlic, brings together all of the flavors you know and love.
In this simple Pesto recipe, I added a scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides to help support healthy hair, skin, nails and joints.** Since Collagen Peptides is unflavored, it makes it incredibly easy to sneak into every recipe.
My recommendation is to double the recipe and store it in a glass jar in the fridge for a week so you have a wonderful go-to sauce or dip for your recipes. I have even topped my tacos with this Pesto because of the beautiful fresh flavor it offers. Plus, it's the perfect color to complement your St. Patrick’s Day plans!
Dairy-Free Pesto Recipe
Yields 5-6 servings
- 1 C fresh basil
- ¼ C cashews (soak for 5-10 minutes)
- ¼ C nutritional yeast
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 t black pepper
- ¼ t Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 T garlic (minced)
- 1 T lemon juice
1. Measure out all of the ingredients and add to a food processor or a high-speed blender.
2. Add everything into the food processor and process on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Blend together until smooth and scoop into a bowl. Note: To make it thinner, add about 1-2 t of water or unsweetened nut milk.
4. Enjoy with vegetables, crackers, as a pasta sauce or on a pizza crust.