How to Make Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows for Your Holiday Party
It takes just a few ingredients (along with our pastured Beef Gelatin) to get these Chocolate-Dipped Marshmallows into your next cup of hot chocolate. They’re light and fluffy, yet free of preservatives and stabilizers that you’ll find in store-bought versions. We’d even argue you’ll love these so much more. Cut into large squares for easy dosing or tiny squares for bite-sized treats that your kids will love.
RELATED: Try Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin!
Yields 8-12 giant marshmallows
- 1 C filtered water, divided
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin
- 1 C honey or maple syrup
- ¼ t sea salt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Tapioca or arrowroot starch, for dusting
- ½ C dark chocolate chips
- 2 t coconut oil, plus more for greasing
- Add ½ cup of the filtered water with the Beef Gelatin in the bowl of a standing mixer. Stir and set aside 3 minutes to allow the gelatin to bloom.
- Combine the remaining ½ cup of filtered water with the honey or maple syrup and sea salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture reaches 280°F, about 30 minutes.
- With a whisk fitted to the standing mixer, turn the mixer on low speed. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the gelatin. Continue mixing until it appears the gelatin has melted, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer up to medium speed for 3 minutes, then to high speed for 3 minutes, or until the mixture has doubled in volume and holds a stiff peak.
- Add in the vanilla and whip briefly to incorporate.
- Grease a standard 1-lb. bread loaf pan with coconut oil and dust with a light layer of tapioca or arrowroot starch. Pour the whipped marshmallow into the pan. Set it in a cool, dry place for 4+ hours, or until firm.
- Once set, dump the marshmallow out onto a surface dusted with more starch. Cut into squares and dust all sides with additional starch.
- Melt the chocolate chips with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Dip the cut marshmallows into the chocolate and arrange them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Move the marshmallows into the freezer for 15 minutes to set the chocolate. Store the marshmallows in the refrigerator if not consuming immediately.