Love Candy? These Healthy Hot Cinnamon Gummy Bears Will Sweeten Your Life
Skip the artificial flavors, colors, and waxes that fill your typical gummy bear treats and make these natural Cinnamon Gummy Bears instead. With simple steps to making your own homemade food coloring (just beets and water!), you’ll have vibrant red bears that you and your kids will love. A hearty dose of our Beef Gelatin gives these gummies a great chewy texture and cinnamon oil or extract for spice that lingers on your tongue after each bite.
Cinnamon Gummy Bears
Yields about 250 mini gummy bears
For the red food coloring:
- 2 red beets
- Filtered water
For the gummy bears:
- 1 C filtered water
- 6 scoops Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin
- ½ C honey or maple syrup*
- 30 drops cinnamon essential oil or 2 tbsp. cinnamon extract
- (can be adjusted to desired spiciness)
- 1 T reduced beet syrup
- Clean and chop the beets into 1″ cubes.
- Add them to a medium-sized glass baking dish. Add enough filtered water to fully submerge the beets and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes, or until the beets are very soft.
- Strain out the beet juice into a small saucepan and reserve the cooked beets for another use (like tossed into a fresh salad).
- Place the beet juice over medium low heat and simmer until reduced to a thick syrup, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the gummy bears by stirring 1 cup filtered water with the Beef Gelatin in a medium saucepan. Set it aside for 3 minutes to allow the gelatin to bloom.
- Stir in the honey and place the pan over medium low heat. Stir continuously until the gelatin has melted and the syrup is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cinnamon essential oil and 1 tablespoon of the reduced beet syrup. Whisk well until the syrup is a smooth red color.
- Pipe into gummy bear molds or other silicone molds, as desired.
- Chill 30 minutes, or until fully firm. Store the gummies in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
*Note: for a lower glycemic gummy bear, stevia or xylitol can be used and adjusted to desired sweetness.