By: Lisa Payne
It’s true. Sitting on your bum all day long will probably not get you any closer to that round booty you’ve been wanting. But when you work all day and have other adulting responsibilities, that booty goal can often seem out of reach. Thankfully all is not lost when it comes to shaping up your derriere — especially during shorts season.
Glute goals are much like squad goals. All you need to rock those fall and winter trends is a little teamwork! That’s why we’re lending you a helping hand with these three excuse-free tips for getting your booty into shape.
Walk on Inclines
In or out of the gym, where there’s an incline there’s a way! Walking up a hill, mountain, or even on a high treadmill incline is an excellent way to build glute strength and also get your heart rate up. Since your glutes are your biggest muscle group, working legs can also burn a lot of calories in a short period of time.
- No treadmill or mountain? Head outside and seek out routes that have the most hills. Even a 20-minute walk will do your booty good.
- Got mountains? Hiking for just one hour burns around 350 calories. And because you are not only walking up an incline, you have to adapt to the varied terrain. The ups and downs of the trail recruit not only your glutes, but your calves, quadriceps, and hamstrings as well.
- You and the treadmill? Hit the intervals by combining different speeds with incline levels 3 to15. You’ll be surprised at just how intense walking can feel… Often even more so than running!
RELATED: What Is Fasted Cardio?
Take the Stairs
For the amount of time it takes to wait for an elevator, you could easily walk up a few flights of stairs. Life wasn’t meant to be spent waiting — especially when you have even the briefest opportunities to exercise! Stairs target your glutes, quads, calves, hamstrings, and even your abs.
- Outdoor stairs? If you know of a public staircase in your neighborhood, you’ve found your new workout playground. See how many times you can make it up and down in 30 minutes or an hour! Keep track and add a round every time you go!
- Stairclimber? Definitely not a piece of gym equipment to pass on, the stairclimber can burn anywhere from 350-500 calories an hour, depending on your body weight and your workout intensity.
- Stairwells? You can find an open stairwell almost anywhere between work, a hotel, or even the mall. Taking the stairs vs. not taking the stairs is the difference being productive and unproductive. You’ve got a goal to reach!
An easy way to give your glutes a boost is to add in weekly hip bridges. These no-equipment-needed exercises can be done almost anywhere at any time. If not during your regular weekly workouts, aim for 25-50 reps a few times a week first thing in the morning or right before bed.
- Two-leg hip bridges: Lie flat on the floor and bend both knees so that your feet are flat on the ground. Drive through your heels and push your hips up toward the ceiling. Squeeze your glutes and slowly lower your hips down.
- Single-leg hip bridges: Start in the same position as the two-leg version. However, in this one lift one foot off the ground. Continue driving through the heel of the planted foot and lift your hips up. This version may feel a little more intense but it’s totally worth the effort!
Team up with a friend on your journey to getting stronger glutes! Or better yet, make a hip bridge challenge with your friends, co-workers, or family. Can you hit 500 in a month? Getting your booty into shape all starts with that extra step, incline, and bridge. Are you ready?